Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Psalm 139 Musings

Some time ago, in a Bible study I was doing, I was encouraged to ponder what the following Psalm meant to me, personally. God's Word warns us not to add to or to take away from His Word, so read this understanding that what is in italicized red is just my personal amplification and musing on what HIS words are saying to me. It helped me to think about how big He is, and how small I am, and YET how He loves me, loves each of us, deeply.

O Lord, You have searched me and know me.
You know my motivation, You know every thought and action. I can’t hide my self from You.
You know my sitting down, and my rising up;
There’s nothing I can do, no minor thing, that You are not aware of.
You understand my thoughts afar off.
You are not remote. You even know, better than I do, what makes me tick.
You comprehend my path and my lying down,
And are acquainted with all my ways.
You know what lies ahead, where I’m going, what I’ll face. You know the paths I choose, every choice I make. You’re even there with me, whether I choose right or wrong. If I choose sin, I take you there with me.
For there is not a word on my tongue,
But behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.
If my words don’t show grace, if my words don’t build others up, if my words don’t glorify you, you still hear them. I can’t hide my sin from you.
You have hedged me behind and before,
You have my back. You’re protecting me. Even if I have been hurt, you have saved me from worse.
And laid Your hand upon me.
You have had your hand on me, always. There has not been anything that has happened to me that you have not known about, and allowed.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
I cannot fathom that kind of love. I’m not capable of giving it, so I can’t comprehend it.
It is high, I cannot attain it.
I will never know everything. Though I should try, I will never be like you.

No comments: