Monday, March 10, 2008

Learning More About Myself

I just got back from a meeting of pro photographers, featuring a speaker who was teaching us about a software program that I have very little to no interest in. So was the evening a waste? Actually, at the beginning of the evening, a very interesting question was raised which made the entire evening worthwhile.

The presenter asked, As photographer, do you tell people comfortably that you are an artist? Can you comfortably and confidently say, 'I am an artist.' Several raised their hands. Some didn't. I began to and lowered it because I realized that my yes wasn't quite honest. Not quite. When the presenter looked questioningly at me, I had to say, I'm getting there. I'm very close.

So, she asked, What do you think makes you an artist? A lot of people think it's how good you are. 'Ah, now I'm good enough to be an artist.' She then says, That's not what makes you an artist. What makes you an artist is if you just have to do it. You have to.

So, there's my answer.

No comments: